The view from my perch on the mountain

The Madness, part 2

It was a beautiful sunny day when I pried my eyes open this morning.


I even managed to catch a robin hunting for breakfast in the neighbor’s freshly mowed lawn before he spotted me and turned around to hide that beautiful red orange breast. You may recall from an earlier post that the robins have been messing with my head this year and turning their backs as soon as I framed a shot. Maybe this one hadn’t had his morning coffee yet.


Frankie’s azaleas have so many blossoms on them this year that it’s hard to find any of the leaves! The yard smells amazing and the scent of them wafting through the open windows is wonderful.


The reds, always the last to open for some reason, are finally in full bloom….


……as are the pinks.


The knockout rose Laura gave Frankie for Mother’s Day last year has is covered in buds and the first blossom is ready to open.


First bloom of the season on the Old Maid’s Bonnet. This one plant produces purple, pink and white blossoms.


Frankie tending her pot farm. NO, NOT THAT KIND OF POT! She’s growing peppers and strawberries in pots on the patio.


The Shasta Daisy Mom sent home with us last summer. She has an amazing variety of flowers and plants growing in her yard and always sends a few home with us each time we visit.


You’ll remember the picnic table I decided to repair last week. I never got around to sealing it when we bought it and five Blue Ridge Mountain winters really did a job on it. As I started removing rotted lumber to get at the salvageable portions I soon discovered there were no salvageable portions!


I decided the easiest solution was to build a new table but the project came to a halt after I got the table top and legs cut and partially assembled. That was when I finally admitted that my back could take no more. I was feeling much better this morning and could stand looking at that partially completed project no more so I broke out the power tools and with Frankie’s help the construction is finished! Good thing too, because by the time I got all the tools collected and put away my back was wrecked once again.


When operating a hammer it is always important to make certain you hit the correct nail. If you happen to miss you may find yourself doing the “ WRONG @#&%$! NAIL!” dance.

Then you’ll have to go looking for the hammer you threw across the yard. 

The black and blue is still spreading and in a couple of days I’ll be twirling a drill bit between my right index finger and thumb to relieve the pressure under the nail.


This time we’ll give the table at least 3 good coats of polyurethane stain. In the fall a couple coats of water sealer should carry us through the winter nicely. The new porch will receive the same treatment except it will just get sealer and no stain. We like the natural wood look for the porch but want the table to match the rest of the lawn furniture. Did I mention that the Adirondack chairs need repairs? Guess I had better buy enough lumber to build 2 new ones.


The old picnic table waiting for Laura to come over with the Jeep so she and Frankie can haul it off to the dump.


It’s okay, Buddy. Daddy isn’t cussing at you.


Momma’s baby!


Momma’s other baby, Godzilla. After more than a year of making excuses for not wanting to learn how to handle my Expedition I tricked her into it. While out running errands recently I “missed” my turn on the way home. rather than turn around I took the next right which “just happened to be” one of the back roads Sam and I used to cruise on our photo adventures.

I pulled over, got out and told her to get behind the wheel. by the time we hit pavement, several miles down the road she was hooked on the power and the view from way up there.

Turns out I was too clever for my own good. After driving it back and forth to work for the past week and using it to run a few errands she had given me official notice: “That’s MY TRUCK! I’ll let you drive it on the Interstate…..maybe!”

I’m pretty wiped out after today’s adventure so I’m taking the easy way out and posting this on my Blogger page, Virginia Through My Lens, as well.

Besides, the pain meds are starting to kick in and I think I may need a nap.

Thanks for stopping by!


5 responses

  1. Owwwww! Nasty hammer related injury! Lovely pics again mr man 🙂

    May 3, 2011 at 6:06 PM

    • But I didn’t get any splinters this time………so far as I know. I’ll have to check again when the pain meds wear off.

      May 3, 2011 at 6:15 PM

  2. ahh the table looks great! it seems it was worth the ouchies to get it done 😉
    frankie has a nice garden growing.

    May 3, 2011 at 7:05 PM

    • You know, Kirsten, no matter how much pain I have to put up with afterwards it’s always satisfying to have something tangible to show for your efforts. I’ll heal and that table will be put to good use; cookouts, working on our weapons, carpentry projects, blogging from the backyard…….

      May 3, 2011 at 7:13 PM

  3. It makes things go slow, but you CAN safely start your (steel) nails by holding them with pliers instead of fingers and thumbs.

    May 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s