Our “leaders” in action….or inaction….
It is definitely Monday and I am not amused! But before I get into the meat of what is bothering me I want to thank my brother in law, the world famous Fish Hook, for bringing us the casserole that will be our dinner today. I’m a little under the weather, thanks to a neighbor burning damp logs last night, cloaking the ridge in dense smoke which triggered my bronchial asthma…..twice! Frankie’s working a full shift today and I know she’ll be beat when she gets home. Barry’s thoughtfulness and generosity means that neither of us will have to cook today and that is greatly appreciated.
As I opened the web page for my hometown paper the first thing to register in what is left of my mind was this tagline:
Anyone who had been following politics in the US knows that this sort of attitude is nothing new but it has become epidemic the past couple of years and our nation is currently more divided and polarized than it has been since the outbreak of the American Civil War in 1861.
Our democratic form of government is supposed to be a nation of the people, for the people and by the people. Sadly, that is not the case. The people we elect and send to Washington to represent us and look out for our best interest live in some la-la land where nothing beneficial is ever accomplished and we, the people, are supposedly just fine with this because the politicians say they know what we want. Our opinions don’t seem to enter into the equation.
Well, I say it’s time for a total revamp of American politics. It’s rather simple really:
1. Outlaw political parties, lobbyists and special interest groups.
2. Round up every politician in the nation, herd them all into the middle of the mall in D.C., hand each one a parasol and a bottle of sun screen, then detonate a 5 megaton thermonuclear device right smack dab in the middle of them. Be sure to get it on tape which will come in handy later.
3. Establish a new federal capitol in Waurika, Oklahoma. It’s close to the middle of the country, making it easier for all citizens to get to when they want to punch their elected representative in the nose and the town’s economy could use an influx of tax dollars.
4. Elect a brand new group of representatives, by popular vote…..you know, an actual reflection of the votes cast by the voter. Electoral College my ass! Elect those who are best qualified and motivated towards making this the greatest nation on Earth and tell them to get on with the business of running our nation in a safe, sane and responsible manner.
5. Any proposed legislation, especially congressional pay raises, is to be decided by popular votes to be held in January and July. Get your bill on the July ballot and if it passes, fine. if it doesn’t, move on we don’t want it! I am fed up with hearing elected bozos argue over an issue for a year or more and still not coming up with a workable solution. The result of these votes shall be deemed the will of the people and the legislation enacted immediately. NO VETOS! If you don’t like the outcome of the vote that’s fine. LEAVE!
6. Any time the people in the new government starts getting out of hand show ‘em the tape from the mall and remind them of what happened to their predecessors…….and that we still have plenty of weapons left!
Okay, I’m done.
Anyone else want the soap box?
Go ahead…..say what’s on your mind….this is a free country…….or at least it used to be.